Saturday, March 2, 2013

Specially blessed

I have the gift of mercy. I want to feed the poor. I want to counsel the broken. I want to heal the wounds... but there's one area I've been a little nervous about... the ones with special needs. It's a place I feel the most awkward.

My sweet little tender hearted peanut has wanted to serve kids with special needs for a while now. His heart questions God's allowance of such struggles. We have talked in the past (and continue to do so) about how we learn much more from people with special needs then they ever do from us.

Compassion.

That's what I saw tonight from my two boys. Their hearts filled with such joy when J finally laughed. When he found joy in the teeter totter, the boys found joy in his happy moans and screams.

Blessed.

That's what we are. To have been a part of such a beautiful night. To have learned to love those we don't understand even when it's scary or awkward.

Humbled.

That's how I felt when faced with beautiful little faces who love, trust, hope, believe the way God has asked us. No inhibitions. No false pretenses. Just being who they are. Fearfully and wonderfully made.

No comments:

Post a Comment