Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Your Word is Your Word

You know we all have "mom-isms" - things we as moms say over and over again.

I have a few...
"The world puts us down, we need to build each other up." (1 Thess 5:11)
"Let your yes be yes, and your no be no." (Matt 5:37)
"Your word is your word... it's all you've got." (1 John 2:5)

Of course I have plenty of others but those are probably my top three. Of course all three bring forth eye rolls. It's pretty awesome.

I know for now they think I'm pretty lame for saying those things. I get it, I was once their age (mom-ism?!).

But I'm growing adults, not kids and growing adults means teaching them values and one of the ones at the very top of my list is integrity.

Your word is all you have in this world. Actions aren't worth much... at all.
What you say, how you say it, when you say it, to whom you say it. That's it.

Hurting words, lies, angry words, name calling... and the list goes on... those words, they hurt. They cause scars that can never go away. Ever. You can apologize, you can say you won't do it again and maybe you won't... but in the end, the damage has already been done. We have an awesome God of forgiveness and we pray that those from whom we need forgiveness will find it in their hearts to do just that, but we know that those scars will remain.

I say these things to my children because it's important to me that they know that they make a difference in the lives of so many. That they have a responsibility to this world, to this society, to God, to be truthful and to use the great power of words for the good of His kingdom.

I say these things to my children because when I use those words, it's a reminder to myself how powerful and influencial are my own words.

O be careful little mouth what you say
O be careful little mouth what you say
There's a Father up above
And He's looking down in love
So, be careful little mouth what you say

No comments:

Post a Comment