Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Too much and not enough

I've mentioned briefly about having too much stuff.

I've also been cleaning up our place. I've gotten rid of things we really don't use.

If we haven't used it in 9 months? Out.
Don't really like it and does nothing for me? Out.

I am slowly surrounding myself with things that I love. Things that bring joy to my life. Things that bring me peace. I've been doing the same for the kids. We go through every couple of weeks and look at more stuff they really don't play with or even like anymore.

It's been incredible. I love the feeling of simplicity. Of only having the things I use and not being surrounded by the stuff I "may someday" use.

Technology is the next thing I have to tackle. Not physically but mentally... and probably physically too. We have a Wii, a PSP, each kiddo has a NintendoDS, we have a laptop (but the small kind), two kiddos have an iPod Touch, and 4 of us have cell phones. Our cell phones don't have data plans and they don't have any fancy shindigs. They just call and text... and B and I have the kind of cell phone where you have to hit the "2" three times to get the letter "c". The kids have the other kind.

Now we're talking about getting iPhones. When B brought it up, my initial thought was "heck no!". But instead I took a deep breath and explained that for me, I see too many of my friends, my coworkers, random strangers on their cell phone doing what God only knows while they ought to be doing life. I am petrified that getting an iPhone, having 24 hour access to the electronic world that will lesson our ability to connect with the "real" world.

We have too much access. Too much knowledge. Too much busyness and not enough us. I want to see you. I want to know that when we are together you are focused on me. That you want to be with me so much that the rest of the world can fade away for these next few hours.

I do see the positives in technology too. Don't get me wrong. I would love to have my calendar in my palm when I'm asked if I'm available next... Right now I can't think of any other reason why I'd love a Smartphone... but I'm sure I could find out.

So what are we going to do? We're going to pray. Lots.

No comments:

Post a Comment