Friday, May 11, 2012

Baby forever

I can't remember the last time I picked you up.
Held you on my lap.
Rocked you to sleep.

It makes me sad to think of you as a boy and not a baby. After 10 years, it's expected.

When you get mad now, you walk away instead of to me.
When you get sad, you'd rather be alone for a time, and then you'll ask for me.

Your questions are so much more complicated. Your thoughts more intense.

But...
You still kiss me on the lips in front of your friends.
You still need good night hugs and kisses.
You still like for me to read to you.
You still like to snuggle on the couch together.
You still like to be all mine.

This week has been a tough one for me as I am more aware of the young man you are becoming.
I've cried and sat in long quiet reflection about this very thing.

You were my baby 10 years ago and as your mama, I get to keep you that way forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment