Thursday, December 15, 2011

7 days of stickers and some gentle reminders

In my earlier post, I was at my wits end with some pretty ugly preschool behavior. I cried, ranted and blogged about my frustrations. What's a mama to do?

Come up with yet another way to get him to obey... at least for a while.

My little monkey was invited to the party for his "best friend" from preschool. He loves this kid. Has been talking about going to his birthday for months (before there was even a party planned). Last week he got it. The invitation.

I told him I was super excited he was invited! And that in order to go to parties, big boys needed to show good behavior so... if he could get 7 stickers in a row (one sticker for each day of good behavior), the he could go. If not... then he'd have to miss it. So we started out with two really good days with manners oozing everywhere and sweet words filling our home and then... the lack of self control crept back into our lives. So... 2 days without stickers. Boo. But then, after counting down the days to the party and being reminded of the party and of how many days were left... he did it! We are the proud owners of a calendar with 9 stickers on them and 7 of them are in a row

Sure we had days during those 7 days where we had to remind our monkey of a certain party, but that's to be expected! I don't want perfection, I just don't want to be yelled at.

Have I gotten rid of the bad behavior for good? Nope. Am I on to something? Maybe...

No comments:

Post a Comment