Monday, January 17, 2011

Understanding Father

I received a new devotional and being the neurotic person that I am, I couldn't start it until January 1st. I was afraid it might be a little over my head and, honestly, some of it is and I have to read it 2-3 times in order to really understand what I'm supposed to be learning. With that being said, I love it because it challenges me and gets me thinking.  A couple of weeks ago I read one that really had me thinking. Here's the last paragraph for that particular day:

We have to get rid of the idea that we understand ourselves; it is the last conceit to go. The only One who understands us is God. The greatest curse in spiritual life is conceit. If we have ever had a glimpse of what we are like in the sight of God, we shall never say, "Oh, I am so unworthy", because we shall know we are, beyond the possibility of stating it. As long as we are not quite sure of that we are unworthy, God will keep narrowing us in until He gets us alone. Wherever there is any element of pride or of conceit, Jesus cannot expound a thing. He will take us through the disappointment of a wounded pride of intellect, through disappointment of heart. He will reveal inordinate affections - things over which we never thought He would have to get us alone. We listen to many things in classes, but they are not an exposition to us yet. They will be when God gets us alone over them.

I'm drawn by the words. He will take us through the disappointment of a wounded pride of intellect, through disappointment of heart. He will reveal inordinate affections - things over which we never thought He would have to get us alone. That is so completely beautiful. I've never heard it said this way and it's moving. God wants me. He wants my undivided attention. I pray that I respond with my entire heart. That I humble myself to Him and His Word. That He pushes all conceit and pride out of my life so that I can make the most of my time alone with Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment