Monday, February 1, 2010

Peaceful Place

I know I'm going to be done with therapy soon because D is doing a lot more talking and I'm doing a lot more learning. This is a good thing. Talking about my week doesn't bring about tears anymore because I have the inner tools I need to be able to move through it on my own.

I am however a tad bit nervous (ok, who the heck am I kidding!? I'm freaking out) about this next part of therapy. I had three items to "reach" before therapy was done and I have 2 done... this last one is last because I've been avoiding it for a very long time. I don't talk about it, ever, and thinking about it makes me cringe. But I know I need to get through it so that I can be completely whole.

Today we talked about practicing finding a peaceful place in my mind when, during hard times - either in therapy or life in general, I can retreat to.

So D turned off the lights and turned on a lamp and I got comfy in my chair. I closed my eyes and she started calmly talking to me about finding that spot. What it sounded like, what it smelled like, what the textures felt like, etc... and as I thought of this place I was pleasantly surprised to find it on the island right next to the one my parents own. This tiny island where I spent countless summers exploring and romanticising the things that could have happened on it 100 years ago. This island is my peaceful place. At the end of it, on the other side of the trees, there's a spot where you can clearly see our cottage to the left and "Seagull's Island" straight ahead. The water is clear and shallow, so you can see the rocks and sand and little water bugs swimming around. In my peaceful place I am sitting on the rock staring out into the water and I can hear the loons hooting and the water slowly splashing up onto the shore. There's a warm breeze and the air is pure.

That's my peaceful place.

This week my homework is to take the time to find my peaceful place so that when I really need to go there I can do so very quickly and without closing my eyes.

So... my question is... what's your peaceful place?

1 comment:

  1. My peaceful place is where I have no worries, I can feel God's presence, I know I am in His will.

    Hey, maybe a trip to Hawai'i would be easier to attain! :)

    I'm trying to read through your blog AND fulfill the kids' requests for this and that...going one post at a time!

    ReplyDelete