Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Curiosity killed the cat

Being curious about what others are going through is hard... especially when they are on the attack versus wanting to play nice with you. Honestly, it's just down right exhausting! And of course, anything exhausting is a direct order from D, my therapist.

It makes sense. When people react in a way that is surprising to me (as in a not so nice way), I'm supposed to ask more questions to figure out where they are coming from instead of immediately attack back. That's hard because everything in me wants to defend myself! I'm trying to be calm and answer the person back with empathy and respect. Dang therapy!

Of course, it seems like when I get this type of "homework" that's when I get bombarded with situations that require me to put my new skill to the test. I've been doing moderately well, but I still have a ways to go.

I'm PMSing, I'm tired and curiosity killed the cat. Help me, Lord!

My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry. James 1:19

No comments:

Post a Comment