Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Not ready to end

My baby is growing up. In just a few months he'll be starting kindergarten.

Yes, I'm the mama that cries during the "firsts" because it's then that I realize that for something to start... something else has to end.

Taggies... his beloved taggies. I ordered this when he was a little over a year...


...because I realized what he was doing. Whenever he got anxious or tired, his little hand would immediately find a smooth ribbon tag from either his underwear, tshirt or my shirt. He rubbed and rubbed it until he soothed himself. I did not discourage this because I sucked my thumb until I was 11. Yes. Years old. So, I was all about the taggy rubbing.

At the same time I ordered this (which we affectionately call - "Football Taggy" cause we're original like that) from Amazon and paid way too much money, Grandma was making him this (which we affectionately call - "Taggy Blanket", again with the originality):


So now here it is... about 4 years later and he sleeps and brings his "football taggy" and his "taggy blanket" on trips, to bed, to the couch... wherever. He rubs the tags when he's watching movies, bored or just needs some extra comfort. It's not a big deal because we can go to lots and lots of places without them. He's attached but in a healthy way. :)
Last night I asked him what he thought about putting the taggy blanket away... you know, since he doesn't use it as much as he used to. He said maybe when he goes to kindergarten. Sounds fair.

Maybe in a box, he suggested. I told him that was a good idea. He said I could box up the football taggy too. I was shocked. Both?! Then he told me not to put them too far because he was going to need them when he cries again.

Ah... I still have my baby.

Don't worry bud. I was just testing the waters. I'm in NO hurry to box 'em up. Cause that would be the ending to this...


And I'm so not ready for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment