Sunday, February 26, 2012

Step by Step

As a little girl, I never dreamed of being of step-parent. I don't think many of us do. But it's a blessing God granted me in July.

And I'm figuring out this stepmom thing one weekend at a time. "A" makes it pretty easy though. That's not the part I'm struggling with so much... I struggle with her mom. Not so much her mom but my place in their world. I know how important and special and mother/daughter relationship is and I don't want to interfere with that. I want to help it grow stronger. I don't want to hinder any of that.

But on the flip side, I want/need a relationship with A. So what does this stepmom relationship look like? I feel like I'm stumbling through this thing and I don't really have much direction.

I wonder...

Where do I fit in this mix?
What are my responsibilities?
What are not my responsibilities?
Are there things I shouldn't talk to A about?
How much input do I have in her life?

A's mom and I communicate well (I think) and I've told her a few times what a great job she's done with A. She (along with her husband and B) has done a spectacular job with her. I don't know how to tell her that I don't want in on what she and A have such a great bond. I don't want to take anything from them and I pray if I step over some toes, that someone tells me.

Not sure if any of that made sense. It's all a jumbled mess in my head. I think about the boys' future stepmom (someday) and how I would feel and what I would want/need from her. I would want respect, positive reinforcement, mutual goals...

So this week I've really been thinking about that. How do I do that for A's mom? Thinking... and taking it step by step...

No comments:

Post a Comment