Thursday, April 21, 2011

Bonus

I don't like the word stepdaughter. Or stepson. Or stepmother. Or stepfather. Or step-anything. I can't put my finger on it exactly but I just don't like the word. It might be too many movies where the "step" parent is the villain. Or maybe it's because no where in the Bible does God talk about a "step" parent. Maybe it's because the word, the responsibility is very foreign to me.

I'm about to be one, you know. A stepmother.

I'm really looking forward to starting this new chapter, this new life with B. I'm super duper excited to have A in my life forever. I've always wanted a daughter. In fact I was convinced I was having a girl when I was pregnant with my monkey - I was wrong. Anyway, A and I get along so well and she's as beautiful on the inside as she is on the outside and I can't wait to be with her on a more permanent/regular basis.

On the flip side, I love the term "blended family". That's what we'll be - a blended family. We're blending two (very) different families into one God honoring family. It's really a beautiful thing. It's just the stinkin' word.  To me "stepdaughter" or "stepparent" sounds like a second class citizen, less important. And she's not. I love her. She's important to me. Very important.

So today, I've decided she won't be my stepdaughter. She's going to be my bonus daughter - cause getting a bonus is an awesome thing. And that's what she is. A bonus.

No comments:

Post a Comment