Monday, February 14, 2011

Boys

Columnist Kathleen Parker: "By being reasonable, smart and fully awake: Reduce boys' exposure to violence, be there when they return from school, help them with homework, ask them about their day, let them cry if need be, support them when they're down, help them to see options, teach them to handle guns safely if you have them, reward good behavior, make reasonable demands, express moral expectations, talk to their teachers, and hug those boys every change you get. Don't ask them to be men when they're just little boys, but show them to be real men by demonstrating the thing we as a society seem to have lost: self-control. It's the greatest gift, and it isn't even rocket science. It's just good parenting"

I have a latch-key kid.
Self-control is a huge deal in our house (meaning it's a struggle).
I struggle with balance.
I love them like crazy.

I am doing my best and I still feel my best isn't good enough. I pray for God's guidance not only in my own life but in theirs. I remember crying for weeks after I went back to work after each one of their births. It sucked. I wanted to stay home. To watch them grow instead of stealing moments before and after work. Since my little Peanut has started school I have longed to be home when he gets home after school. To talk to him about his day. To make sure he knows I'm "present". I pray for strength, wisdom, guidance. I pray they know that I am here. I will listen, support, love and comfort whatever life bombards them with. Life with boys. I wouldn't trade it.

No comments:

Post a Comment