Monday, November 10, 2014

The Teenage Years

Happy birthday, Peanut!

You are 13 years old today! An official “teenager”.
I might just cry… alright, honestly… I did. I have and I might continue over the next few days.

You see for me, this is a huge deal. It’s a huge deal because you have entered this new stage in your life. One of the shortest phases of your life, but one that has big, big impacts. You see your teen years shape you for your future. Your experiences, your friends, your school, your culture, your faith – all of this will impact the man you will become. And that is a pretty big deal.
Know that I will be on my knees in prayer more now than ever.

Do I fear for your future? No. Because I know who it belongs to. But I will be praying for you, that as you grow, you will gain confidence and trust yourself more than you trust theirs. That you lean on Him more than them. That through this crazy time in your life that you will look up instead of forward, because He truly does hold the key to your future.
I will fail you time and time again in the next few years – we all will. But He won’t. I tell you this because I remember feeling gross and weird and different than everyone else and you know what? It’s ok. It’s ok to be different. It’s ok to stand up for what you believe. It’s ok to be wrong. It’s ok to not do what everyone else is doing. It’s ok to “miss out” on stuff you don’t feel comfortable doing. It’s ok to be you.

Just be you, Peanut, because “you” rock.
You see the world in a different light. A more mature, complicated way. You ask the tough questions. You don’t settle until your little soul feels at peace. It’s the most frustrating thing ever, and it’s the best thing you could ever do. Don’t stop.

You will also be faced with some really cool opportunities. Don’t turn them away. Be a leader, jump in, be a part of the change in the world. I believe you will do great things in this world – make a difference, you have so much to give.
I’m excited to see what these teen years have to offer you… to see you grow… to hear you with a different voice… to hug your taller-than-me body… to see you fail and to see you thrive…

I love you so very much, Peanut. Happy 13th birthday!
I love you,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment