Saturday, June 22, 2013

Sports and Souls

1 in 5 American parents spend $1000 per kid on sports every year.
$1000… on sports. I’m not saying it’s right or it’s wrong, it just makes me think.
The odd my kid (or yours) is going to play professionally someday… odds are in the lower single percentages (except baseball whose odds aren’t that great).
So just to average it out we/they spend about $6000 per kid and countless hours at fields, practices and in the backyard trying to help them with their skills. $6000 per kid. So maybe your kid doesn’t do sports, they do piano, or drama, or whatever. It’s still money and it’s still time.
 What would our world be like if we spent that amount of money, time and effort helping our kids get into the Kingdom?
I am not innocent of this, I too fail. I spend countless hours at the fields, spending money and supporting (with excitement and love) my kiddos… and spend countless minutes reading them scripture, teaching them how to study the Word and sharing in our love for Christ.
Sure, we are a part of a Life Group. Our kids go to church camp. We do nightly devotionals. We listen to praise and worship music together. We volunteer at our church and in the community. We watch Christian movies. We love Christ together, daily. But that’s the easy stuff. That’s the check mark stuff. I can do more. I want to do more. I want to grow these little people to be pro-Christians. To lead them to the Stanley Cup of heaven. To wear the beautiful championship ring. To rest at His feet after hours of countless practices. I want to invest in their spiritual growth more than I invest in their physical growth.

No comments:

Post a Comment