Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Motives

I have a friend who's going through a really hard time right now. She's having to make some big decisions and she's struggling between her head and her heart. Girl... I've been there.

The only advice I have... motive. Always check your motive.

My therapist gave me some of the best advice when she said that whatever decision you make, you have to be ok with it when you're smoking mad or blissfully happy.  I gave that advice to someone who talked to me about divorcing her husband after a rough patch... and guess what? They are still married... happily.

Our motives are huge and what drives them shouldn't be feelings because feelings get us in trouble. Feelings are never solid. Feelings come and feelings go. Our motives should be based on Christ's Word, our values. It's not always easy, especially when hurt is involved... but seeing past it through to our foundation, the base of who we are... our decisions are more secure and whole.



1 comment: